We are a community of psychiatrists that educates and advocates on Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender mental health issues.
Our goals are to:
- Foster a fuller understanding of LGBT mental health issues;
- Research and advocate for the best mental health care for the LGBT community;
- Develop resources to promote LGBT mental health;
- Create a welcoming, safe, nurturing, and accepting environment for members; and
- Provide valuable and accessible services to our members.
AGLP Strives to be a community for the personal and professional growth of all LGBT Psychiatrists, and to be the recognized expert on LGBT mental health issues.
What We Do...
- Publish a quarterly newsletter (free to members)
- Provide a free subscription to the Journal of Gay and Lesbian Psychotherapy for all full and associate members;
- Conduct a full schedule of seminars and discussion groups concurrent with the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association (APA);
- Sponsor social gatherings and a hospitality suite at the annual meeting of the APA and other psychiatric meetings;
- Work within the APA to influence policies relevant to the lesbian and gay community;
- Collaborate with other organizations of gay and lesbian physicians and mental health professionals;
- Provide referral services for lesbian and gay patients;
- Assist medical students and residents in their professional development;
- Encourage and facilitate the presentation of programs and publications relevant to gay and lesbian concerns at professional meetings; and
- Serve as liaison with other minority and advocacy groups within the psychiatric community.